Where the Wine Began

Influence

Growing up, my mom always drank wine when she did chose to drink. She preferred whites, but often indulged in a good red instead. I remember her always drinking one specific brand for months on end, until someone would introduce her to a new one and the process would start all over. She always loved a  cabernet sauvignon or a pinot grigio. Of course those meant nothing to me at first, but over the years I was always tasked with reminding my other family members "what kind of wine does mom like?".

Experience

 I used to work at a fancy restaurant downtown that had a phone books worth of wine in the back of the menu. People would ask me which one I recommended or liked the most, and I would have to tell them I wouldn't know as I was only 20. I could never pronounced the names either, which really took away from the fine dining experience. I could barely open a bottle, or pour a drink, and I broke every cork I ever opened. That job did not last long. Eventually like any good fresh, and broke, 21 year old, I started out my wine journey with a nice bottle of Barefoot pink Moscato. Eventually I moved on to Bay Bridge which is always $3 and always does the trick. I still prefer a Moscato, as I enjoy how it is typically sweet but not dry. 

Looking Forward

What I hope to learn from this course, is how to describe wine. As a writer, I always am looking for creative descriptions, but I never know how to do so with wine. I am also looking forward to challenging myself to try new wines. Preferably break out of the realm of $3 and fruit flavored wines. I also look forward to the overall experience of wine that will be presented in this course, such as the geography, history, and layers that wine has to offer. I also hope to learn to appreciate and enjoy the nice wine that my mom offers me when I go home to visit. Hopefully we will be able to find a nice wine we can both enjoy together. 

Me (right) and the wine woman herself, my Mom (Left) 






Comments